Re: [Gems-users] Does Gems support Linux on SPARC?

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:14:37 -0500
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Does Gems support Linux on SPARC?
Shan,

Are you thinking of _running_ Simics+Gems on a sparc machine with Linux as the OS, or are you thinking of _simulating_ a sparc/linux machine with Simics+Gems running on some other host machine?

As far as _running_ Simics+Gems on sparc/linux, Gems's functionality will be determined by the host's ability to compile ANSI C++. So, if you have a recent version of g++ available on your sparc/linux host, Gems should work without any problems. However, you may want to check that Simics itself supports running on a sparc/linux platform, if you haven't already.

With regards to _simulating_ a sparc/linux with Simics+Gems, we have only had significant experience with sparc targets running Solaris, though, in theory, running simulated Linux (on sparc) should not change the functionality of Gems.

Regards,
Dan

shan wrote:

Sorry to ask such a simple question. I just started to use Gems.

Is Solaris required? In my mind, since Simics support linux on sparc, Gems may also work with linux on sparc. But I am not sure.

Does everybody use Solaris? Is Linux ok?

Thanks a lot!!