[Gems-users] Statistics

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:58:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dave <zhu_dave@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Statistics
Hello,

I have some questions regarding Ruby statistics:

- As I understand, Ruby statistics provide "count" of certain events rather than timing of events.  Is it possible to obtain the cost of events in terms of time or cycles? What do "Ruby cycles" represent?

- Ruby statistics provide cumulative results for all processors. Is it possible to obtain statistics per chip or processor? For example, cc transitions on each processor?

- My benchmarks take a long time to simulate with Simics + Ruby. I would like to run a certain section of my benchmarks (e.g. initialization phase) in Simics only, and then load Ruby to get statistics of the memory system. Would this reduce the simulation time? How can this be done?

- Is it possible to simulate between cycle X and cycle Y and then dump the results? Can this be done by using magic instruction?

- The "Profiler Stats" in Ruby results mention elapsed time and virtual time. Are these target and host machine runtimes?

- Are the intra-chip network configuration options the same as the inter-chip network options? How do I configure intra-chip network?

- What is the max number of processors that can be simulated with sarek, MOESI_SMP_hammer?

- In $GEMS/ruby/generated/MOESI_SMP_hammer, there is only L1 cache controller, but no L2 cache controller. Why is that? Isn't there supposed to be an L2 cache controller?

Thank you in advance.