Re: [Gems-users] Relation between SIMICS cycle & GEMS cycle

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:50:06 -0600
From: "Min Xu (Hsu)" <xu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Relation between SIMICS cycle & GEMS cycle
Simics cycle number includes both dynamic
instructions and exceptions/interrupts.

When running with opal, each dynamic instruction
increment simics cycle number by 1, but the
same instruction may have much longer latency
in terms of the "GEMS cycle". The reason that
simics cycle is larger than the number of dynamic
instructions in your experiment is that simics
cycle number also counts the exceptions and
interrupts. I am curious what workload you are
using, because the number of exceptions and
interrupts seems high.

We are aware that because simics cycle
number don't really reflect the instruction
latency, interrupts are perhaps delivered
more frequent than it needs to be.