[Gems-users] about MessageBuffer and Ports

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Dave Z." <zhu_dave@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] about MessageBuffer and Ports
Hello All,

I am looking into how in_ports, out_ports, and
MessageBuffers are defined. In the *cache.sm file,
some message buffers are declared like MessageBuffer
requestFromCache, network="To", virtual_network="0".
Could somebody please expain what "network" and
"virtual_network" refer to?

Then, the input and output ports associated with the
message buffers are declared. With regard to my
previous question on direct data transfers between
processors, would it work if I create two message
buffers, one for sending messages and one for
receiving messages, create input ports and output
ports accordingly, define new message types, actions,
etc.?

As Ruby does not work with actual data, but only
models the timing of operations related with data, how
could I copy a cache line from one processor's cache
to another? I'm interested in the timing of the copy
process as well as the number of misses on the other
processor. So, it's important to copy the actual data
so that I can see the effects afterwards.

Thank you very much.