Re: [Gems-users] prefetch in opal

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:13:46 +0800
From: lori zhuang <lorizhuang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] prefetch in opal
Although Ruby ignore software prefetches, they are counted in the dump file. See makeRequest() in SimicsDriver.C for details.

Rgs,
lori zhuang

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:02:56 +0800
From: Jerry Lin <cosjerry@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Gems Users <gems-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>

So the software prefetch implemented in opal means opal supports the
prefetch instruction, like PREFETCH, PREFETCHA.
The prefetch instructions are inserted totally depends on the compiler, like
gcc.
If I set the flag to disable the software prefetch in gcc when compiling an
application, and running with simics+Ruby+Opal.
Will the software prefetch count in ruby dump stats be zero?
Regards.