[Gems-users] Opal - opcode execution methods - repeated definitions

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:09:07 -0500
From: Srinivasan Thirunarayanan <srinivt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Opal - opcode execution methods - repeated definitions
Hi, I recently started out with Gems and Opal. In the Opal source tree, I notice that the Opcode execution methods (the ones that implement the functionality of an instruction) are repeatedly defined in 3 places - OPAL_DIR/system/dx.i (included from OPAL_DIR/system/dx.C), OPAL_DIR/system/ix.i (included from OPAL_DIR/system/ix.C) and finally at OPAL_DIR/sparc/exec.C. I was browsing through the code and it was not obvious for me why this is being done and how they come into play during a simulation. Can someone please explain what is the purpose of each of definitions and why this duplication is necessary?

Thanks in advance.

-- Srinivasan