Re: [Condor-users] Running "batch" jobs on different platforms

Sounds like the not terribly well documented "guess
the exe type" that condor does.

if you submit a bat file on windows with suffix ".bat"
it works out that you are using a bat file and
transfers accordingly (attempting to run a renamed
copy of it so don't expect the name of the script to
be the same when it runs!), otherwise it thinks you
are using an exe and behaves differently.

on unix I guess it treats .sh the same way, but thinks
you bat file is an executable, thus sending a file
that isn't an exe renamed as if it was.

I haven't used the unix version so YMMV

I am suspect that you are submitting a bat file to a
unix box - call it a shell file instead and se what
happens...

I dislike this functionality since it seems impossible
to override...
...not to mention does it treat .cmd files in the same
way? how about .pl? etc. etc.

Suggest a sep flag "treat_exe_as_script" or
somesuch...

This is all with 6.6.x no idea if it's nicer in 6.7.x
land..

 --- Mike Frederick <Mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> it...
>
> I want to be able to run pre-built "batch" jobs on
> different machines in a
> Condor pool.  By "pre-built", I mean that I will
> have a file of commands
> that perform a specific task on a machine that
> resides on that machine.  If
> I log onto the machine directly and execute the file
> as a shell procedure on
> Red Hat--or a batch file on Windows--the commands
> are executed and the task
> is completed.
>
> In a Windows-only environment we have a set of batch
> files sitting on the
> box which we can fire-off.  The problem is that now
> we need to integrate a
> Red Hat (and eventually a Sun) box into this
> environment so that we issue a
> command and the Windows box runs its batch files,
> the Red Hat box runs its
> set of commands and the Sun box runs its set of
> commands.  It appeared to me
> that Condor (with the possible future addition of
> DAGman) could perform the
> control function of this process.
>
> I thought I could build/debug/test each the system's
> independent "batch"
> procedures, build a Condor submit file for each
> procedure which was
> configured in such a way so that each submit job
> would only run on its
> appropriate system and run the local "batch" file
> and wait for all jobs to
> complete.
>
> Is this doable?  The Windows portion works fine; I
> have a small batch file
> defined for 2 Windows boxes in the pool; I built a
> submit file to direct
> each system to run one copy and it all works.  But
> what about Unixes?  I
> though if I built a small shell script and submitted
> it to run on the Red
> Hat box in the pool it would work.  But it doesn't,
> I get the log file you
> see below.  I'll include all the appropriate files:

> The shell script to be executed on Red Hat:
>
> #!/bin/csh
> echo "Howdy!"
> echo "Here is the output from 'hostname':"
> hostname -v -i
>
> echo ""
> echo "Output from 'ls' command:"
> ls -la
>
> echo ""
> echo "Output from a 'ping' command:"
> ping -c 4 stargate.nuview.com
>
> echo "That's all folks!"

> The submit file for Red Hat:
>
> universe       = vanilla
>
> requirements   = OpSys == "LINUX"
> should_transfer_files = YES
> when_to_transfer_output = ON_EXIT
>
> executable     = linux.bat
> output         = linux.out
> error          = linux.err
> log            = linux.log
> queue

> The resultant log file:
>
> 001 (012.000.000) 08/16 10:24:17 Job executing on
> host: <192.168.1.222:1620>
> 007 (012.000.000) 08/16 10:24:17 Shadow exception!

'/opt/condor-6.6.6/home/execute/dir_20253/condor_exec.exe