Re: [Condor-users] Re: NEVER MIND Condor Bug: Condor Status reatins old machine info after changing OS type.

On Apr 5, 2005 3:11 PM, John Horne <John.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 17:14 -0600, Derek Wright wrote:
> >
> > if your shutdown script gives the startd fair warning and tries to
> > gracefully shut it down (e.g. SIGTERM, not SIGQUIT or SIGKILL), the
> > startd will send an ad to the collector to "invalidate" itself so that
> > it doesn't show up in the collector anymore.  if your machines
> > regularly reboot to switch OS's, you should think about doing a
> > "condor_off" a few minutes before the scheduled reboots to give condor
> > a chance to clean itself up.
> >
> So for an 'execute-only' workstation, just running condor_startd and
> condor_master, would sending a kill -TERM to condor_master be okay, or
> should I send it to both the startd and the master? Using 'condor_off'
> is not possible because the client is logged in as an unpriviledged (?)
> user.

If you users have been given the ability to send arbitrary kill
signals and shutdown the machine you may as well just give them admin
access to the local condor master for condor_off!

Both unix and windows provide means for admins to have scripts execute
on shutdown (I would guess as root/local admin) though for windows
this may involve a third party tool.

Matt