Re: [Condor-users] Re: NEVER MIND Condor Bug: Condor Status reatins old machine info after changing OS type.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:11:39 +0100  John Horne wrote:

> So for an 'execute-only' workstation, just running condor_startd and
> condor_master, would sending a kill -TERM to condor_master be okay, or
> should I send it to both the startd and the master? Using 'condor_off'
> is not possible because the client is logged in as an unpriviledged (?)
> user.

SIGTERM to the master is totally equivalent to "condor_off -master".
in both cases, the master will shutdown all of its children, and then
exit.  SIGTERM to both the master and the startd is unnecessary, and
introduces a potential race condition... if the startd manages to exit
before the master processes the SIGTERM, the master would restart the
startd (and then kill it again, once it got the SIGTERM).  so, you
might as well just send SIGTERM to the master.

-derek