RE: [Condor-users] Architechture suggestions for large Condor pool

Also interested in the Linux auth against AD...thanks, ~Brooklin

-----Original Message-----
From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of paul.chubb@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 3:06 PM
To: Dan Swan; Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Architechture suggestions for large Condor pool

Dan,
      that is big. Have you seen the ppt from condor uk week:

http://www.nesc.ac.uk/talks/438/12th/deploying_large_pools.ppt

It has some interesting info that may identify hotspots.

BTW how are you doing the authentication against AD for the windows machines and linux machines?

Cheers Paul
Why should one ask everyone to reach one's own exalted heights and esoteric grounds instead of bending down to the poor prune's level and showing him the right way up in a reasonable way?  He has but to travel up slowly.  And not all may reach all the way up. --Quasi

                      Dan Swan
                      <dan.swan@xxxxxxxxx>         To:       condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                     cc:       (bcc: Paul Chubb/Staff/ABS)
                      condor-users-bounces@        Subject:  [Condor-users] Architechture suggestions for large Condor pool
                      cs.wisc.edu

                      08/02/2005 11:55 PM
                      Please respond to Dan
                      Swan; Please respond
                      to Condor-Users Mail
                      List

Hi all,

This is more of a general than technical question.  We are investigating and planning the deployment of Condor to about 8,000 to 10,000 machines in  a mixed Linux/Windows environment.

The initial roll out will be to a number of Linux clusters to test the technology, but eventually roll out will occur across several departments.  I'm interested in how people have scaled up to handle clusters in this range, my experience is limited to single submit host/40 machines.. so this is a bit of a jump.

In terms of architechture what should we be thinking about right now? Would people suggest a number of flocked condor pools each with a submit host?  Would a single submit host fall over trying to handle the needs of a potentially large number of on-site users? We're also interested in access control and authentication setups on such a large scale.  (Current authentication is via AD which the Linux clusters also authenticate against).  The ability for certain departments to have priority over their own hardware would be nice, or limiting users to certain pools etc.

I really would be grateful for any pointers to documentation, contact with administrators of other large Condor deployments, or just general thoughts on setup strategy.  I know this is a wide open question, and all feedback would be gratefully received.

regards,

Dan

--
Dan Swan || dan.swan[at]gmail.com || http://scot1and.net/~dan "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick - How to Build a Universe) _______________________________________________
Condor-users mailing list