[Condor-users] Problems with communication between my linux machine and my to my Central manager (windows)

when i run condor_status on my linux box i get

root@tux:/# condor_status
CEDAR:6001:Failed to connect to <192.168.1.17:9618>
Error: Couldn't contact the condor_collector on condorman.neuralgrid.org.

Extra Info: the condor_collector is a process that runs on the central
manager of your Condor pool and collects the status of all the machines and
jobs in the Condor pool. The condor_collector might not be running, it might
be refusing to communicate with you, there might be a network problem, or
there may be some other problem. Check with your system administrator to fix
this problem.

If you are the system administrator, check that the condor_collector is
running on condorman.neuralgrid.org, check the HOSTALLOW configuration in
your condor_config, and check the MasterLog and CollectorLog files in your
log directory for possible clues as to why the condor_collector is not
responding. Also see the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

condor_status executes successfully on my windows machine.

The HOSTALLOW sections in c:\condor\condor_config is set to allow from my domain and private ip class.
netstat on the windows machine shows shows the connection is being made to the machine but
the collector or master log is not showing any errors ?

any help would be greatly apreciated as its stumped me :/

thanks

Chris Miles