Re: [Condor-users] Solaris 8 archive for 6.7.3 release corrupted?

Erik Paulson wrote:
Ian Chesal wrote:
Whether I use Gnu tar or the native Solaris 8 posix tar I get an EOF
error untarring the condor-6.7.3-solaris28-Sparc-dynamic.tar.Z file.

I did not have a problem untarring it and then running a binary from it on
a Solaris machine. Untarring on a linux machine worked fine too.

This is almost certainly due to a known, incredibly evil incompatibility between certain recent versions of GNU and Solaris tar. Create a tarball with the wrong one, and it won't unpack on half the world's unix computers.

I've followed some discussions of the problem on the relevant GNU developers' lists, and at the moment it's being considered a feature and not a bug. Makes you want to poke your own eyes out with a stick.

We (the condor developers) need to figure out which version of tar we're currently using to produce the Solaris tarball, and use another one that's less crapulent.

For the time being, however, just untar it using a different tar, on a different platform, and it should work...

-Peter

--
Peter Couvares                        University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences