From: Matt Hope <matthew.hope@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:57:43
To:tombauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,       Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] automating changes and upgrade in windows stations

On 6/14/05, Thomas Bauer <tombauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > How do I stop the condor service from windows with a batch command.
>
> Just type in "net stop condor". But be careful, if a job was submitted or is
> executed on this node, the service can't be stopped. I had a few problems
> with this in the past. The only way to stop condor in that case ist to kill
> all condor-processes by hand with the task-manager.
> Maybe you can work around this problem with the command condor_off before
> shutting down any services, but I haven't tried this yet.

Interesting - I have had quite a few occasions where I have had to do
the metaphorical three finger salute to a condor system in a hurry and
have found net stop condor to work in about 98% of all tries (this
includes instances where jobs were being shadowed on that machine)

In the cases where net stop failed it was normally when the entire
condor infrastructure on that machine was hosed anyway...

That said if you are batch scripting it you will want to deal with the
2% cases still...
Since the daemons will be reasonably named and running as a specific
user and come from the condor_master process tree a combination of
sysinternals tools would likely get and kill the process tree of the
master in those cases...

Matt