Re: [Condor-users] Absolute and relative paths on Windows.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:42:09 -0000, Sanjay Vivek <smv99r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I forgot to mention I'm running Personal Condor on my machine. I want to
> make sure I understand Condor before deploying it on 3 cluster machines. The
> output from the executable should be in "C:\ENKF\parameter" as well. I mean
> once the job has finished, the output will automatically be in that path.
> This might sound like a really silly question but how do I specify the
> output to that particular path? Or does Condor not care about that and the
> output will appear in that specified path once the job is completed? Thanks
> again!
>
> Sanjay

I think you may be missing some key points in the way condor behaves.

Your job (irrespective of whether it is trying to run within a
personal condor installation or a pool) should NOT expect anything
from the executing machine unless you explicitly set it up that way.

The jobs do not run as you, they run as a severely restricted
temporaray user which likely has no access rights to the location you
are trying to write to.

You must submit your job supplying all the data it requires so that it
can be transferred (hence the transfer files parameter) and they will
be placed within the relevant directory when it starts with the
relevant priviledges. The job should write whatever it needs to the
local directory it is started in and these will be automatically
transferred back to whatever location you submitted from when the job
finishes.

If you wish to deviate from this behaviour be prepared for some tricky
problems...
There are ways to jump out of this security 'box' but they all carry
significant security issues which you should understand before you
attempt them.

I would suggest you need to have a more thorough read of the condor
documentation to understand exactly what condor does when you submit a
job / when a job you submit starts running on a machine.

If you have control over the executable you job is running try doing a
hello world equivalent that lists the contents of the directory that
it starts in as well as the arguments passed to it to console.out then
have a look at what you find.
Likewise try reading somefile you know to be present on the machine
and trap any errors to console.err, you should see permission related
errors aplenty

Matt