Re: [Condor-users] Mixed setup?

Hi Matt,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:55:54AM +0000, Matt Hope wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:32:57 +0100, Steffen Grunewald
> <steffen.grunewald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got a load of machines running Condor 6.4.7 (which I cannot upgrade too
> > easily since they're busy), and a submit machine with 6.7.3 installed.
> > Would it be possible to use the new DAG features that have been introduced
> > in the early 6.6 series without modifications to the pool, or would I have
> > to wait for the machines to become idle and upgrade them?
> > >From my understanding, DAG functionality is located on the submit machine
> > only - thus it should be sufficient to have it running at a recent version
> > - or am I simply wrong?
>
> Entirely unrelated to the mixed setup but taking up your other point
> about waiting for them to become free it would be interesting to see
> if you could submit a job which was cabable of upgrading the condor
> install on the machine it ran on...

Indeed, but there's no guarantee for Condor that you would reach all
machines, no matter how large your job cluster would be - and a machine
that causes the job to end immediately (because there's nothing to do)
would eat up the rest of the cluster happily - unless you add a long
sleep at the end of the job which would occupy the machine for an
unnecessary long time then :(

But it's a nice idea!

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut)
SciencePark Golm, Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam * http://www.aei.mpg.de