[Condor-users] Newbie: Condor with LTSP and Fedora possible?

Hello,

A little bit long for a first message, sorry...

I have set up LTSP 4.1 on a Fedora Core 3 server and have a couple of
diskless PC clients booting off of it with no problem. At present the
clients either go into a bash shell or continuously run a small 'hello
world' program.

I am now trying to install Condor 6.7.6 onto the LTSP/FC3 server so that
we can have jobs submitted to the server and condor will execute them on
the LTSP clients.

I have installed the FC3 compat-libstdc++ rpm onto the server since it
seems condor programs require libstdc++.so.5. I then installed the FC1
condor rpm from the download page. This was all okay; running
condor_master starts up various daemons and 'condor_status -master'
shows the local hosts name. So the programs are running okay.

LTSP clients do not by default have libstdc++ libraries so I simply
copied the ones from FC3 across. I then mounted the condor install
directory on the thin clients. Using just the one test pc I create a
LOCAL_DIR for it. Running condor_status however gives an error:

./condor_status: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version 'GCC_3_3' not found
(required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5)

My question is this: has anyone gotten the above combination of FC3,
LTSP 4.2 and Condor to work together? I suspect I may well need to
rebuild the libstdc libraries using uClibc to work with LTSP.
Unfortunately that could mean having to install RH9 in order to build
the LTSP build environment in order to build the libstdc libraries -
phew, seems like a lot of work.

I have tried installing the static versions of Condor (RH9 and RH8) but
running condor_status as a first command they just give a segmentation
fault. I am assuming they are just not compatible with FC3, although
they should be compatible with LTSP (since I gather that was built on
RH9).

Any help appreciated, many thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839