Re: [Condor-users] Condor with only HTTP?

<jbrazile@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > We are researchers at three separate instititions and would
like to
> > pool our spare CPUs (about 100) toward working on a single
problem. Our
> > potential compute nodes all have outgoing HTTP (at least
through username
> > protected web proxies) and we all have the ability to modify
files
> > stored on a web server at a 4th location. None of us have
root/admin
> > access nor incoming access (e.g. ssh nor ftp) from the
outside.

> This paper seems to be headed in the direction we are after...
>
>    Current methods for negotiating firewalls for the Condor
system
>    Bruce Beckles, Se-Chang Son and John Kewley
>    http://www.allhands.org.uk/2005/proceedings/papers/431.pdf
>
> But all the suggestions there seem pretty complicated and we
would still
> have to try to extend our current limitations.
>
>  Can someone recommend a general condor strategy for this?

If you do not have any incoming, your only choice for now is to
setup Condor to use GCB (Generic Connection Broker) - see the
Condor Manual.  If outgoing traffic is only allowed on port 80
and/or http, you have another hurdle.  Maybe you could use
sslport to tunnel all traffic to the GCB proxy?  Or even better,
talk w/ your network admins about the problem...