Re: [Condor-users] a gui tool for condor

Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
At 12:27 AM 8/22/2006, yaoheng zhang wrote:
Hi all.
I just write a GUI tool for condor. This application provides friendly interface for editing and submitting jobs, checking queue and machines status and the configuration parameters. It is written in java and has been tested in Linux and Windows. For more information, please see

http://www.durham.ac.uk/yaoheng.zhang/condortool.htm

I am eager to receive feedback from you for any issues about it and I will continuously improve it with your help.

Nice work, Yaoheng, and thanks for sharing w/ the community!

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I will soon.

Some initial feedback from going though your nice tutorial:

a) I don't think I would remove the job upon a double click. From a GUI standpoint, that is not intuitive --- most people think double click to get more informataion. Maybe double click should show all the job attributes? For removal, I suggest a right click w/ menu and/or an toolbar button. It'd be nice to be able to highlight multiple jobs to remove.
Yes, I totally agree. Maybe I can add a check box for each job and a button to remove multiple jobs.
b) Re the implementation on the configuration tab : are you re-writing the condor_config[.local] file, or using "condor_config_val -set" tool to make the changes so that it works over the net? How are you reading the all the config values?

best regards,
Todd

I read the files line by line. If it is not comment, it will be parsed by regular express in order to separate strings on the left/right of "=". But there are some exceptions: a) "RunBenchmarks : (LastBenchmark == 0 ) || ($(BenchmarkTimer) >= (4 * $(HOUR)))", it is a "key : value" pattern. Fortunately there is only one.

b) In Condor 6.8.0, there are some config values using more than one lines. I haven't added code for this case but I think the "/" at the end of line is the sign.

I re-write the condor_config[.local] file and use "condor_reconfig" to apply the changes. Definitely I backup the files first.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Yaoheng
Thanks in advance,

Yaoheng Zhang