Re: [Condor-users] Condor flocking

> Dear Condor users,
>
> I'd like to know if Condor flocking is only allowed if all machines in
> different pools (that are going to flock jobs) have visible IP
> addresses.
>
> I looked at various sources (condor manual, faqs and google search)
> and it seemed to me that all machines involved in flocking need to
> have a visible IP number to be placed as a value for the variable
> FLOCK_FROM in the condor_config file.

Worse than that:

Any potential execute node must be able to communicate with any possible
submit node for the allocated high port ranges over both UDP and TCP,
and I believe vice-versa. Firewalls at submit and execute nodes and any
firewalls in between must be open to allow this traffic.

The situation does not change when flocking is involved - matched nodes need to
talk directly, comms is not directed through central managers.

See
http://www.nesc.ac.uk/talks/ahm2005/431.ppt
Paper should also be at
http://www.allhands.org.uk/2005/proceedings/papers/431.pdf
but doesn't seem to be there just now, if it doesn't come back soon,
email me and I'll send you a copy of the paper.

Cheers

JK