[Condor-users] how to beef up the submit host ?

Hi,

I've got a quick question. Our submit host is currently
a single processor Sun Blade-1000 server with 1 GB RAM. We
have a user who has recently submitted a cluster of around
20,000 jobs and as a result the schedd is taking a bit of
hammering. This means that the response time of any commands
involving schedd (condor_q, condor_rm, condor_submit etc) is
going through the roof.

Question is: if we had the money to beef up the submit host
would it be worth going for a multi-processor (can schedd
work with multiple threads) ? Or would more memory be the
answer (memory usage seems OK at the moment though).

Anyone have a handle on what hardware spec would cope with this
kind of thing - I know there are some big Condor installations
out there.

regards,

-ian.

Dr Ian C. Smith,