Re: [Condor-users] RemoteWallClockTime

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:18:25PM -0500, Preston Smith wrote:

> I'd hate to report 8 hours for a job than runs for 3 hours, gets
> preempted, and then
> runs all the way through again, for 5 hours.. I'd like it to report
> the 5 hours, not the
> total of 8.

Be careful with that approach - if the job can "checkpoint" itself,
you'll have just given the job 3 hours for free. (I remember some
old story about this same trick at the Pittsburgh Supercomputer
Center - they had some builtin checkpointing system, and if you
failed to checkpoint you wouldn't get charged - so people would
write out their results, force a checkpoint to fail, and get
all their compute time for free)

-Erik