Re: [Condor-users] [Birdbath Related] Strange behaviour - 6.7.17

On Mar 5, 2006, at 3:43 PM, Afrasyab Bashir wrote:

[Afras]
3. When I install 6.7.17 on both the computers and install  SOAP
server on
my personal computer and then submit the job using birdbath then
the job can
be seen idle in the queue and remains as such forever.

[Matt]
You can see them because they are in the queue that condor_q looks at
by default. As for being there forever, you might not have a machine
available that they match.

[Afras]

That's confusing for two reasons

a) I always install condor with instruction to "always run condor jobs" and not when keyboard is idle or etc. By it I understand that my computer should
always be available to condor; no matter what.
b) I never ask for any particular requirements and send null instead. By this I understand that whatever be the case or however meagre the resources
may be but computers should just execute the jobs.

Above both, if true, imply that a match should always be made. Since it's not been the case so either I have a wrong understanding or I am missing something elsewhere i.e. may be in the configuration or the code. Could you
put me right about it, please.

You are setting the requirements to be null? You should look at the condor_q -l and see what the Requirements expression is for your job. You can also look at the ScheddLog to see if it reports any errors when matching your jobs.

[Afras]
condor_q -analyze says, " 2 match but reject the job for unknown
reasons"
condor_status -java returns empty string. However path is correct
in both
the machines plus the fact that on command prompt job exits
gracefully after
execution.

[Matt]
You should look at the Requirements attribute of your job and see if
you can figure out why the match might be failing -- maybe both
machines in your pool think they have an active user?

It sounds like a configuration issue here, which is good in the sense
that you have things working with the SOAP API...

[Afras]

It seems I should be specifying some Requirement atleast, like "OpsSys ==
\"WINNT51\"" or something. I am sending null as of now. Is it wrong ?

I don't know what Axis (I assume you are using Apache Axis) will do with the null. It is entirely possible that your job is getting into the queue without a Requirements expression, which could be bad depending on how the Schedd evaluates things. You could try making your Requirement attribute equal to "TRUE". That'd likely be better than null.

matt