Re: [Condor-users] Condor clients using virtual linux?

This brings me to the question that what happens to a non interactive job executing inside a guest OS, when you press CNTRL+ALT and "come out" of the VMware virutal environment?

Does the host OS still provide cycles to guest OS?

I am asking this question because you can only work interactively either inside the guest OS or in the host OS.

Not both of them?

Does the same apply to non interactive jobs?

Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 01:38:37PM +0800, Greg.Hitchen@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've been asked to look into the possibility of adding virtual
> linux to windows boxes and installing the condor client on the
> linux VM.

<...>

> VMWare and VirtualPC are 2 examples of pack! ages, although I'm led to
> believe that VMWare handles linux OS's better. Maybe there are others
> that are more suitable (or cheaper :))?

VMWare Player is free, as is now VMWare server. With the Intel
virtualization hardware, Xen will be able to run native Linux
distributions, so it will also compete.

<...>

> 3) Is there a way for the condor client on the linux VM to know
> that the windows OS is busy (CPU, keyboard, mouse activity)?

The 6.7.18 release includes code for an "outer" startd to update an
"inner" startd, where the outer startd would run on the host operating
system and the inner startd is running on a guest VM operating system,
to do exactly what you describe. It's not documented, and I'm not sure if
there's more to do in 6.7.19 before it works, or if it will work once we
get the documentation out there. Either way, you should upgrade to 6.7.18 :)

-Erik