From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jason Malinowski
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:42 AM
To: 'Condor-Users Mail List'
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Condor clients using virtual linux?

> Does the host OS still provide cycles to guest OS?

Yes. To test this, I just submitted 100 "hello world" jobs to an
instance of
condor running entirely within VMware player (Scientific Linux 3.0.4).
The
jobs continued to run even after I pressed Ctrl+Alt, as VMware still
gave
them CPU time on the host (to confirm this, you can watch the Windows
task
manager on the VMware process, or just wait a few minutes, go back into
the
VM, and just do a condor_q.)

Jason Malinowski

I'm
> led to
> 	> believe that VMWare handles linux OS's better. Maybe there are
> others
> 	> that are more suitable (or cheaper :))?
> 	>
>
> 	VMWare Player is free, as is now VMWare server. With the Intel
> 	virtualization hardware, Xen will be able to run native Linux
> 	distributions, so it will also compete.
>
> 	<...>
> 	>
> 	> 3) Is there a way for the condor client on the linux VM to
know
> 	> that the windows OS is busy (CPU, keyboard, mouse activity)?
> 	>
>
> 	The 6.7.18 release includes code for an "outer" startd to update
an
> 	"inner" startd, where the outer startd would run on the host
> operating
> 	system and the inner startd is running on a guest VM operating
> system,
> 	to do exactly what you describe. It's not documented, and I'm
not
> sure if
> 	there's more to do in 6.7.19 before it works, or if it will work
> once we
> 	get the documentation out there. Either way, you should upgrade
> 6.7.18 :)
>
> 	-Erik

> Junaid N. Sahibzada
> Cell # (+61) 404 998 494
> International Student MSc Internetworking, UTS, Australia
> Bachelor of Information Technology, NUST, Pakistan

> New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman4/*http://us.rd.yahoo.co
m/