Re: [Condor-users] Compiling povray for the standard universe

Hi Jeff...

I have got POV-Ray working under Vanilla universe if that is of any help... here are the note I compiled regarding recompilation etc..

A standalone, command-line only version of POV-Ray is required for submitting rendering jobs through Condor. The UNIX version of POV-Ray supports this mode of operation.

This therefore requires POV-Ray to be rebuilt from the UNIX source code to run on Windows using a GCC compiler. The simplest way to do this on Windows is to use the MinGW environment to rebuild the UNIX POV-Ray source for Windows.

*Install MinGW*

- A collection of freely available and freely distributable Windows specific header files and import libraries combined with GNU toolsets that allow one to produce native Windows programs that do not rely on any 3rd-party C runtime DLLs.

*Install MSYS (MinGW)*

- This is a Minimal SYStem providing a self hosted mingw32 target POSIX style environment.

*Download Linux source code for POV-RAY*

*Run MSYS, build and link UNIX POV-Ray for Windows:*

./configure --enable-strip COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>" --prefix=/home/<userid>/povinstall

_Explanations:_

COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>" - This information then appears when program runs

--prefix=/home/<userid>/povinstall -
Where to install the package, equates to c:\msys\1.0\home\<userid>\povinstall, where we can easily find it later, and can be sure it won't be mixed in with any other packages.This will create an executable tuned for your machine, which may not be backwardly compatible to older processors.

If you need to build a version which will be compatible with all processors, you need to issue a slightly different command. POVRay POV-Ray requires a minimum of a 486, so the following will create a version which runs on 486 or better. Add a "--host" option to the above, forcing the configuration to setup for the older processor.

$ ./configure --enable-strip COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>" --prefix=/home/<userid>/povinstall --host=i486-pc-mingw32

Then compile it with:

$ make
$ make check
$ make install

You can now find all the povray files installed at:

c:\msys\1.0\home\<userid>\povinstall

hope some of this helps
Allan James

Jeff Sherman wrote:
Has anyone succeeded in compiling povray for Condor's
standard universe?  I'm on a system that does not
allow commands like "condor_compile make ..." so
instead I've tried redefining CC, CPP, LD, etc. to the
"condor_compile ..."  equivalents both through the
./configure utility and environment variables.  The
final linking fails.  Any hints?

Thanks,
-js