[Condor-users] Installing Condor in C:\Program Files

Hi All

Does anybody have any experience of installing Condor 6.6.11 on windows into
C:\Program Files\Condor directory, I know the installer defaults to C:\Condor
but has anybody got it to work when installing it elsewhere in the filesystem,
the reasoning behind why (tidiness) and the things I have tried to get Condor to
work after installation into C:\Program Files\Condor

Thanks in advance

James

Hi All

The short answer is that Condor cannot be installed in C:\Program Files.

I removed my current installation of Condor from the filesystem and the
registry (deleteing all keys relating to Condor) and reinstalled Condor using
the original installation program I downloaded from the web, not my copying
batch file.  The problem is the space in the filename.  To fix it I replaced all
entries in the registry as follows

Installation program sets this
Under HKLM\Software\Condor\
CONDOR_CONFIG C:\Program Files\Condor\condor_config
RELEASE_DIR   C:\Program Files\Condor

Gives this error
ERROR: Can't read config file c:\program

So I tried to change those variables to quoted ones as follows
Under HKLM\Software\Condor\
CONDOR_CONFIG "C:\Program Files\Condor\condor_config"
RELEASE_DIR   "C:\Program Files\Condor"

Gives this error
Neither the environment variable CONDOR_CONFIG,
nor the registry contains a path to a condor_config file.
Either set CONDOR_CONFIG to point to a valid config file,
or put a "condor_config" file in the registry at:
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\condor\CONDOR_CONFIG

So having tried the latter suggestion I tried the former, adding a variable
using set at the command prompt both with and without quotes

set CONDOR_CONFIG=C:\Program Files\Condor\condor_config

Gives this error
ERROR: Can't read config file c:\program

set CONDOR_CONFIG="C:\Program Files\Condor\condor_config"

Gives this error
""C:\Program Files\Condor\condor_config"" does not exist.

Which makes me think windows is clever enough to put in a set of quotes for
file names with a space in the path when using set, however the last error is
itself an error because a condor_config file does exist at that location in the
filesystem, I checked.

Do any of you have any further suggestions as to what I might try ?

Thanks

James

---

Dr James Osborne, BSc (hons), PhD
High End Computing Support Engineer
Information Services, Cardiff University, 50 Park Place, Cardiff CF10 3AT,
Wales UK
Tel: +44(0)29 2087 4657
Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4285
Email: osborneja1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/insrv/condor

---

Dr James Osborne, BSc (hons), PhD
High End Computing Support Engineer
Information Services, Cardiff University, 50 Park Place, Cardiff CF10 3AT,
Wales UK
Tel: +44(0)29 2087 4657
Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4285
Email: osborneja1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/insrv/condor

>>> Ray Jordan 13/10/2006 09:46 >>>
James

I would like to change the default path being used by condor from c:\condor to
c:\program files\condor.  It looks untidy in the root of the system volume, and
I am trying to standardise the installation of any application in the windows
environment.  We have worked hard over the past couple of years to achieve this,
so would appreciate it if you could move it, even if it is only from image 830
onwards.

Hugh, should I work with Richard to produce an IT standard for this?

Regards

Ray