[Condor-users] "PERMISSION DENIED to unknown user"

I'm revisiting the setup for some execute nodes that I haven't paid
attention to in a while, and running into some bother.

I have a simple init script which runs condor_master, followed by
condor_on.  When it runs, my MasterLog shows:

   DaemonCore: PERMISSION DENIED to unknown user from host <128.135.1
   7.55:50686> for command 455 (DAEMONS_ON)

Obviously the "unknown user" here is root, on the local machine.  Can
anyone tell me what might really be happening?  No other log is being
written to, this is the only information I can find.

Same thing happens when I run condor_off, either directly from the
command line or within the init script.

Thanks,
--Michael