Re: [Condor-users] Condor : Which one to Download ???

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:01:17PM -0400, Askar Zaidi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install condor on a linux cluster of 7 worker nodes
> and 1 central manager. In my cluster I have 5 machines which are Intel Xeon
> (64 bit) and two Intel x86 (32 bit). Which condor binary should be used for
> this case ? My OS is FC 5. Can I install binaries for Opteron (which is
> 64bit by AMD) ?? Or should I use the x86 binaries ?

Depends on whether you're running a 64-bit OS. Note that you can run
32-bit binaries in 64-bit vanilla universe w/o problems (if you have
the shared libraries at hand, or linked statically). Otherwise you'd
have to maintain two sets of binaries. The $(ARCH) macro comes to mind.

> Also, I have a NFS server running on the intended central manager and also
> NIS. All machines share a common file system . All users have unique user
> IDs for the whole cluster. I d/loaded v 6.8.4 (x86) and I got it all
> running. condor_status shows all machines in the cluster. But I could not
> get a job running. The jobs always stay idle. So, I thought maybe its an
> architecture conflict (64 bit vs. 32 bit).

condor_q -analyze cluster.job should tell you what's going on.
If there are no met requirements, look deeper into job and machine class ads
(-long option to condor_q and condor_status), then come back here with
the output :)

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/