Re: [Condor-users] Core files

> Kewley, J (John) wrote:
> > Are you on Linux?
> >
> > If so, you may have a "limit" for corefiles.
> >
> > Try typing in "limit" and see what it says, it might be that.
> >

> If you are on unix/linux, and you indeed have
>     CREATE_CORE_FILES = True
> in condor_config, then you should get core files dropped into
> Condor's
> LOG directory.  Note that CREATE_CORE_FILES will
> automagically set the
> limit for you as John suggests above, but only if you start the
> condor_master as root.  IIRC, if you are starting the
> condor_master as a
> non-root, you may need to setup the limit beforehand since non-root
> users cannot push the limit past any predefined hard limit.
I'm running on linux (Centos 4), condor 6.8.6.  The bash builtin ulimit
reports "unlimited", and I've not configured any specific limits on the
nodes, besides which condor_master starts as root (then child processes
drop to the "condor" user).

My LOG dir is an NFS mount on the compute nodes (back to a central
server, for ease of management).  I've double checked, and there's no
core files in any of those directories; I wouldn't have thought being an
NFS mount would stop core files being generated, but would welcome any
suggestions to the contrary.

> Does the StartLog file give any indication about why the startd died
> with signal 11 in the first place?
Nothing at all that looks promising; the last line before the restart is
often a state change, but the current level of logging means that's not
entirely improbable.  I could ramp up the logging level and see if that
helps, but I guess unless we can get a proper core dump, I'll still be
guessing as to the cause.

With apologies to Mr Shakespeare:
A source (code), a source, my kingdom for a source.... ;-)

Craig

sender immediately.