Re: [Condor-users] quoted strings in quill schema

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 02:40:57PM -0600, Erik Paulson wrote:
We're hacking on some enhancments to Quill, and we're looking for some input.
So, the question is should we store literals quoted or unquoted?

Unquoted. The quotes to indicate literal are a poor mechanism for
doing so within the database for precisely the join reasons you
mentioned.

If this is done you really should indicate whether the value is an
expression or not though.
I suggest adding an explict <foo>_is_expr boolean column for any such columns.
In most cases users simply would never need to care about it when
reading/joining but anything programmatic which would try to
re-evaluate the exression could know if it was treating the column as
a literal or not...
(I appreciate this is rather more effort than your original proposal intended)

The breaking change is a shame but the number of people affected
should be lower now than trying to change in the future.

As a side note:
primary key(cid,pid)

What happens for cluster id resets? Or is such a view the domain of Quill++?

Matt