Re: [Condor-users] using unix "cat" in standard universe

I have here a simple C program that fills a file "incremental.dat"
with successive calls to the "cat" shell command with "system("...")"
calls. At each iteration, "the file "tmp.dat" contains a single line,
that is then added to the "incremental.dat" file using the unix shell
">>" command. The program is compiled using condor_compile gcc ...
under Linux.

Calls to system() are not allowed in the standard universe. Details are available at:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.8/1_4Current_Limitations.html

The standard universe only checkpoints a single process, and the system() command invokes other processes, so it can't be checkpointed. It would be a fun limitation to remove from Condor, but a rather challenging one.

WhenToTransferOutput  = ON_EXIT
transfer_output_files = incremental.dat

Standard universe doesn't use file transfer, but uses remote I/O. Perhaps you are confusing vanilla universe and standard universe? For now, I would recommend running your job in the vanilla universe.

-alain