[Condor-users] Java in Vanilla on Macs

If one runs Java programs a) in the Vanilla universe (rather than Java); and b) on Intel Macs OS X.4, is it necessary to supply the -Xrs flag (to Java)?

The -Xrs flag -- if I understand it -- tells Java to treat signals like SIGTERM and SIGQUIT normally, rather than taking some special Java action. (Is this one reason why there is some sort of wrapper in the Java Universe?)

The reason I ask is Java jobs, run as above, are not stopping when interaction happens or CPU usage grows from other user processes (although Condor reports that they have been thrown off).

(We are currently using Vanilla on Macs because of the bug in 6.6.11 that means the presence of Java 1.5 or 1.6 is not recognised. I guess I should update the Macs, but all our other systems are running fine on 6.6.11.)

Thanks
-Ian

--
Ian Cottam