Re: [Condor-users] Condor package for OSCAR!

This would certainly be very useful to us here at MIB (part of The University of Manchester). I would be happy to test.

Thanks.
-Ian

Amit Vyas wrote:
Hi all,

I am developing a Condor package[1] for OSCAR[2] as part of Google Summers of Code [3][4],

For those who don't know OSCAR, "it is a software for installing and managing Beowulf type HPC cluster , where it has one HeadNode and all other client machines which are installed by headnode and required softwares are installed onto them"

Condor package will provide condor installation/configuration to happen on headnode and clients. Since there are many advanced configuration condor can take through condor_config I have settled down for most basic of it which can be deployed and can make a cluster ready for condor jobs.

A look at [5] will tell Condor can be configured as follows on a Oscar cluster( please know that /home is shared by all cluster machines)

1. Condor will install as manager and submit node at headnode
2. It will be installed as execute mode at all clients.
3. it will create a condor service to automatically start condor at reboot.
4. Can create condor user for cluster.
5. Change config file for Flocking to and from other pools( all client nodes remain in private network generally) 6. Can also allow headnode to be a execute node(for small cluster, or testing purpose)

installation happens through rpms , and on all machines local-dir is /opt/condor-6.8.5/localdir/

My intentions for this mail are to collect question,feedback, suggestions, advices on this so that I can try to do some improvements fro 1st release so that it can suit to large condor users/admins , and can learn from experience condor users.

Thanks

[1] http://amitvyas.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/condor-package-for-oscar/
[2] http://oscar.openclustergroup.org/
[3] http://amitvyas.wordpress.com/2007/04/26/gsoc-2007-globuscondor-package-application-accepted/