Re: [Condor-users] Problem with Group Accounting, another question...

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Richard Grieve wrote:

> I don't know much about DAG, but I've now read through the section in
> the manual.  One thing I'm wondering is if the -maxjobs option will span
> multiple DAGs.  For example, we can have several people submitting jobs
> - I suppose each submitter will end up using their own
> condor_submit_dag.  In this case, I am still interested in limiting the
> total number of running jobs to a specific number, regardless of the
> number of submitters.  Am I correct to say that the -maxjobs option
> applies only to one DAG?

Basically, yes.  (Actually, -maxjobs, -maxidle, etc., apply to a single
instance of DAGMan, which can run multiple DAGs.  But if several different
users are separately submitting DAGs, they have to each run their own
DAGMan.  So the throttles apply separately to each DAG in that case.)

In many cases, -maxidle is more usefule than -maxjobs, because it will
adapt to the load on the pool.  Even though it's actually implemented on a
per-DAGMan basis, one user's DAG will have some effect on another user's
DAG, because user 1's queued and running jobs will increase the chance
that user 2's jobs will be idle (and vice-versa).

Kent Wenger
Condor Team