Re: [Condor-users] Setting the master and startd for one job only

Thanks Todd.
Will give a try and let you know.
No problem with the beer ;)

Marian
-- CERN, IT/GD, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland, tel. +41 22 76 74384

On 28 sept. 07, at 21:17, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

Marian ZUREK wrote:
Hi,

I would like to setup the condor worker node to run precisely one job
and exit.
For this to happen I got the receipt to start the condor_master in
the foreground (-f option)
and also define the DAEMON_SHUTDOWN expressions as specified below

STARTD.DAEMON_SHUTDOWN = (Claimed && Idle && TotalTimeClaimedBusy > 0)
MASTER.DAEMON_SHUTDOWN = startd_exit_code == 99

I have tested the above setup using Condor v6.9.4 however I did not
manage to make it operational the desired way.
I am wondering whether any of you had a chance to exercise such a
scenario and is willing to share his/her experience.

So you want the startd and master to exit after the startd runs just one
job to completion?

Hmmm.... well, I haven't tested this, but off the top of my head this is
what I'd try appending to the end of condor_config:

#
# Tell the master to wait a real long time before restarting the startd, # since when the startd exits we don't want to restart it, we want to go
# away.
#
MASTER_BACKOFF_CONSTANT = 999999

#
# Set CLAIM_WORKLIFE to one second.  This tells the startd to go back
# to Unclaimed/Idle state after any job that runs for more than one
# second completes.
#
CLAIM_WORKLIFE = 1

#
# Modify Start expression so we will not accept a second job after
# the first one completes and the startd goes back to Idle.
#
START = (TotalTimeClaimedBusy =?= UNDEFINED || \\
          TotalTimeClaimedBusy =?= 0 ) \\
          &&  ( $(START) )

#
# Shutdown startd if we are currently idle and have ever been busy
# in the past.
#
STARTD.DAEMON_SHUTDOWN = (Activity=="Idle") && \
((TotalTimeClaimedBusy =!= UNDEFINED) && (TotalTimeClaimedBusy > 0))

#
# Shutdown the master if the startd exits.  Note that if
# STARTD_StartTime is zero, that the startd is not currently running.
#
MASTER.DAEMON_SHUTDOWN = (STARTD_StartTime =?= 0)

Thank you in advance for your replies,
Marian ZUREK

Hope this helps Marian. If it does, you can buy me a beer next time you
are in Madison.  :).

--
Todd Tannenbaum                       University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences