Re: [Condor-users] Condor for Solaris 10?

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 03:59:27PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 15:34:47 Philip Papadopoulos wrote:
> > the suggestion to run linux instead of solaris is myopic.  zfs under
> > solaris is an exceptionally nice file system and these are file
> > servers (48TB).
>
> Zfs may be exceptionally nice, but if they want to have anything else running
> on those boxes, it may not be worth the pain.
>
> Also, our one sol 10 x64 server has horrible nfs write performance to linux
> clients. I could never figure it out: something between new and improved Sun
> implementation and (known-b0rked) linux implementation just chokes the
> network link.
>
> If they run into the same problem, an exceptionally nice filesystem
> server-side is not going to be of any use to them.

For what it is worth, we have a couple of these machines running ZFS to
serve out several fileyststems to a 300 node cluster/condor pool, and I
have been very impressed with this filesystem. The main issue when sharing
out to Linux clients was the limited support for ACL's on Linux and the
still experimental status of NFS V4 on Linux, but that was solved by
mounting with version 3 and noacl.

--
Stuart Anderson  anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~anderson