Re: [Condor-users] Condor for Solaris 10?

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 04:10:04PM -0500, Erik Paulson wrote:
> It's also entirely possible that the checkpoint server will run under
> the Linux emulator for Solaris (I wouldn't be surprised if the other
> daemons don't, including the master, but the ckpt server stands a
> better chance)
>
> Once upon a time, Condor fully supported Solaris/x86, including checkpointing.
> Getting a clipped version running again wouldn't be hard, but I don't
> know if anyone is working on it, and really, I don't think the Condor
> Team had a lot of demand for it (a few "it'd be nice")
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Personally, I'm so frustrated with Solaris/x86 that I decided it
> wasn't worth a Saturday to spend firing up VMware and getting it
> ported, especially now that spring is arriving after a very long
> winter. If, on a cold rainy fall day later this year, if Solaris
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^
> hasn't become completely irrelevant I'll spend the time if no one else
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> has done anything about it.

Erik,

so wishing for bad weather would do the trick (if there are enough people
synchronizing their efforts)? :-)

I had been into Solaris from the time when it still was named SunOS (IIRC
4.0.2 was the first version I installed from QIC tape onto a 4/330 machine),
and Solaris (after a long transition time, with 2.[01] not worth the
migration, and all those SysV printing hassles) indeed became irrelevant
with the advent of Linux for quite some time...

But the situation appears to have changed a bit now, and Sol 10 (on
whichever hardware platform) seems to be a real competitor again.
My ideal system though would go along the lines of what Nexenta has
started (but they're slow... their distro is still based on Ubuntu
Dapper from the first half of 2006):
use the -- admittedly quite stable -- [Open]Solaris kernel, and put a
GNU/Linux userspace (based on Debian) on top of it.
This would allow for _native_ ZFS support, and would save the admin the
hassle of switching back and forth between syntactical approaches (ever
did "hostname -f" on a Solaris box as root? tried to understand why there
is /etc/init.d/ *and* svcadm?)...
Since Debian is prepared to provide userspace (or already doing that)
for other kernels (Hurd, KFreeBSD) there's some potential in having
full Debian/Ubuntu support by Condor, but I'm sending coal to Newcastle :)

To get back to the original issue, do you see a chance to dig out the last
Solaris/X86 Condor version? (I had asked for a page in the past, allowing
for downloads of abandoned ports like Linux/Alpha [since I missed the last
version and am stuck with 6.7.8 here] ... perhaps it's time to revive that
idea? "It'd be nice" indeed.) May I assume that the interface to the ckpt
server hasn't changed so much that an earlier version might cooperate with
a recent Condor installation?

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/