Re: [Condor-users] Webservice - how to assure that it is running?

> By default all the Condor services except for the condor_collector run
> on dynamic ports.  The condor_collector runs on a standard/well-known
> port of 9618.  The idea is client can do a query to the collector (just
> like condor_status does) in order to discover the IP address and port of
> other services in the Condor pool, like a condor_schedd.
>
> So you should be able to do something like open a browser to
>    http://my-central-manager.com:9618
> and see something.  (probably a soap fault saying http file not found).
>
> Now, if you do a "condor_q", at the top is will list the port that the
> schedd dynamically bound to.  Use that port to test talking to the schedd.
>
> I said the schedd uses a dynamic port by default.  You can change this
> to use any well-known port you select via the condor_config file.  To do
> this, lets say you wanted the schedd to use port 8080 - put the
> following into your condor_config file:
>    SCHEDD_ARGS = -p 8080
> and then do "condor_restart".  The above tells the condor_master (which
> starts all the other Condor services on a machine) to invoke the schedd
> with the command-line argument of "-p 8080", and the "-p" switch to any
> Condor daemon is used to tell it to listen on the well-known port
> specified.
>
> If you actually want to try out using the SOAP interface, that is hard
> to do with just a browser.  A couple weeks ago I posted to this email
> list a simple perl script that acts like a trivial "condor_q" - see
> https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2008-March/msg00067.shtml
>
> On Linux, you could prolly run the Perl script I posted above as-is.  To
> use the above script on Windows, you will of course need a Perl
> interpreter installed on your Windows box.  Most Windows folks who use
> Perl like ActiveState Perl --- last time I checked, this Perl release
> came pre-installed w/ the SOAP::Lite package.  SOAP::Lite is a popular
> Perl library that allow Perl scripts to easily communicate with web
> services.  See
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/lib/SOAP/Lite.html
>
> Hope this helps
> Todd

Thanks Todd and also Matt for helping me on this!
Actually it seems my browser (or maybe the proxy) masks the error message, just saying something blurry (Network problem). I imported the wsdl-files to my (C#-)IDE and tried to connect on that port doing just a beginTransaction() and commit(). The response was: "http://134.40.28.214:9618/: Method 'beginTransaction' not implemented: method name or namespace not recognized" which actually shows the WS is running, and I'm able to connect.
So I think this the kind of reassurement I was looking for. I will now try to do some more baby steps, using the perl script as a template.
Thanks again for your help guys! (also David, thx!)

Bye