Re: [Condor-users] Sample parameter sweep application

Hello Ian,

Thank you for the information you provided. I've been studying the
suggestions I gathered and also playing with a couple of apps of my
own, so now I'll briefly share my experience on what you described.

First, let me clarify what went on with the original posting: my
intention was to gather several samples that I could look at, compare
with my own, evaluate, and eventually choose from. That is, it was
more of an information collection request rather than a call for help
on a current problem. This is why I sent the email to more than one
list, since every answer did count, and indeed I got useful replies
from more than one list. Also, I sent it to a small subset of the
lists I am subscribed to - those I felt the posting applied to. In the
rare occasions in which I may have cross-posted, I did so for this
reason or because I was making a release announcement. In any case, I
apologize for the inconvenience of having gotten my email more than
one time.

Now, to the main point of this email. I played around with MOLREP, and
could produce a couple of plots. I am not sure if I will actually end
up including MOLREP in the demos because the executable is larger than
what I hoped for. I know that in a situation - more common than mine -
in which the execution hosts are close or even have a shared file
system, the size of the executable is not an issue. However, my
particular test bed has no shared file system, need transferring of
the executable since it's not in every host, and is limited to roughly
32 KB/s upload bandwidth. So there I have a couple of minutes of
transfer time - and the transfer sometimes does fail. Ideally, I
wanted to show that running each job on a separate computer increased
overall time, but if the job takes only seconds and when I execute
them remotely I have to add a couple of mins to each one, then it
still 'seems' quicker to run the jobs locally in a serial way.

I am also not sure if this overhead is once per job or once per
execution host, since I am sending all jobs in the same cluster and
the Condor Manual states that this allows Condor to manage resources
more efficiently, although I was not able to find specifically what
this refers to and if the transfered executable would be cached on an
execution host for the next matched job belonging to the same cluster,
if any. I may ask this in a separate thread since it deviates a bit
from the issue of this one. If the executable is cached I might be
able to demo larger executables, since most times I get only 2 or 3
free hosts for a 10 to 100 jobs cluster, so if the executable was
transfered only 2 or 3 times instead of 10-100 I may be able to
neglect the transfer time.

I am also currently doing one-parameter variation simulations, though
I had considered varying several as you mention (pdb, RESMAX, SIM,
COMPL would be four).

Anyway, about MOLREP itself. I downloaded the binary linux version
from the link you provided (I had some issues compiling the source). I
found that there was a new invocation style, which I used. I also got
the test MTZs and PDBs from the molrep_check/data directory in the
source distribution. After downloading the extra files provided on the
page (for CCP4) and configuring the CLIB environmental variable, I
could get .ps plots when running the executable just with the MTZ, in
this way: ./molrep_linux -f test.mtz (the TGase.mtz file also worked).
However, when trying to use a pdb (with the -m switch) I did not get
any plot, although some output files were generated. As for the PDBs,
I could only get the ones in molrep_check/data to work. The ones in
the link from your email were not recognized by the program, so I
might have missed something there, but from my studying of the molrep
code there is a fragment in molrep_subr.f, CHECK_COORD_FILE
subroutine:

        IF(LINE(1:6).EQ.'ATOM  '.OR.LINE(1:6).EQ.'HETATM') THEN
          PDB = 'Y'

which looks for ATOM or HETATM, which are present in the PDBs in
molrep_check/data but not in the ones I downloaded from the link.
Perhaps there is some file conversion I overlooked.

In summary, I would be able to do a parameter sweep varying the MTZ,
although that may or may not make real-world sense, I am not sure of
that. Incorporating a PDB into the picture produced no .ps in my
tests. I tested also with the commands in your email (by means of the
k switch in molrep) with the same luck.

Cheers,

Matias