[Condor-users] NATs and Condor (UPNP/IGD)

As some of you know, running Condor with some machines behind a
NAT (network address translation) but others outside is
complicated.  It's possible, but it's not easy to set up.

Now the IGD (Internet Gateway Device) Protocol part of the
Universal Plug and Play standard would potentially allow Condor
to automatically punch holes in NATs.  We'd like to get a sense
of IGD support among our users.

So, are you running Condor across a NAT, are planning on doing
so, or want to do so?  If yes, could you spare a few moments to
answer some questions?

- If you're currently running Condor across a NAT, how are you
  handling it?  GCB? VPN? Something else?

- Why are you putting the machines behind a NAT?  Security?  Lack
  of IP addresses?  Both?  Something else?

- How many Condor machines are behind the NAT?

- Does the router that is or would be implementing your NAT
  support IGD?

- Would you be willing to enable IGD, assuming your router
  supported it?

- Any other comments on Condor potentially supporting IGD?

I'd prefer direct responses to me, not the list, partially for
the privacy of individual answers and partially because a bunch
of answers is boring reading for the list as a whole.  All
answers will be kept private to the Condor team.

--
Alan De Smet                              Condor Project Research
adesmet@xxxxxxxxxxx                http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/