Re: [Condor-users] Rank policy

Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
I would like to setup Condor with a policy which states something (conceptually) along the lines of:

1. Execute all jobs from user X first, if they exist
2. Execute all jobs from members of group Y, if they exist
3. Service all other user jobs.

Am I correct in thinking this needs to be embedded all in the RANK statement for STARTD (i.e. in the main $C_L/etc/condor_config file)?

Yes, RANK is a good policy expression to use for this type of policy. Do you want jobs to be killed in case of higher ranked jobs becoming available? If so, that's the default behavior. If not, then use MaxJobRetirementTime to specify how long jobs should be allowed to finish normally before being killed.

The follow on question is what is the standard way to identify a job as belonging to a particular group?

One common method is to stuff something into the job ClassAd that declares the group. In OSG, there are various condor.pm hacks to do this. One that I have used described on the following page under "Adding OSG VO information to the job ClassAd":

http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~dan/condor_jobmanager_hacks/

--Dan