Re: [Condor-users] startd priority and preemption

Ah, thanks Jason.  That makes sense.  I didn’t think of running only one scheduler across my network (actually, I didn’t realize that it could be done :) … I'll have to read up on that in the manual or wherever).

Just so I understand it, then, it sounds like machine RANK  is solely for preemption.  I.e. if I have 2 jobs submitted on 2 different schedulers and a machine RANK rule that gives job A a higher number than job B, then that doesn’t necessarily mean that job A will start to run before job B if there's one machine available?  I.e. job B might start running first, and then job A would come around and preempt it?

Thanks again.. appreciate it,

Steve