Re: [Condor-users] Variable expressions in transfer_input_files

Martin Steele wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to expand file names for files I want to transfer as mentioned in the thread that ended with:

https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2008-June/msg00058.shtml

However, I'm not having any success. Basically, I want to send the input file depending on the matched Arch, so I've been trying something like:

transfer_input_files = stub.$$([Arch])

The $$([ syntax won't work in Condor 7.0, it was fixed in 7.1. In this case, though, since you just need to lookup ARCH, and not evaluate it, the older $$(ARCH) syntax should work. It should work, but it won't, because condor_submit is (un)helpfully trying to pre-verify that your input file exists before submitting the job. Since condor_submit doesn't know what ARCH is going to expand to, it looks for the literal string stub.$$(ARCH), and doesn't find it, and returns the error message you see. You can work around this problem by creating a zero-length file named, literally, "stub.$$(ARCH)". condor_submit will see that this exists at submit time, but the shadow will expand it to the correct value at run time. This is a hack.

-Greg