[Condor-users] Machine rank and job priorities ... again

Hi,

This might be a forum classic and definitely a topic raised multiple times but I still can't get my head around job priorities / user priorities and machine rank.

My expectations are the following (they may be completely false though):

- Job priority only affects job ordering for a single user on a single scheduler. - When different users' jobs are running than user priority decides the amount of VMs a user gets. By default it should be equal for all users, modified by historical data. If PRIORITY_HALFLIFE is very low than it should be more or less equal all the time (until the user priority is modified manually). - If there are jobs with higher machine rank than these jobs are "preferred" by the startds, so they should run before *ANY* other lower ranked jobs. There might be a small time window when existing claims still allow lower ranked jobs to run but it should all settle quickly if CLAIM_WORKLIFE is set. - If machine rank is higher but job priority is lower than other jobs' of a user might still execute before jobs with higher rank. Both higher rank *AND* higher job priority should make sure that a job runs before all other (less important) jobs of any user.

Now, this is the behaviour I don't get. All works well for a single user, job priority orders job execution reliably. Problems arise when multiple users submit jobs to the same scheduler: in this case machine rank does make a slight difference but nothing drastic like "no other jobs run until we're done" policy. I see more VMs occupied by the user with the higher ranked jobs for a while but with time other lower ranked jobs take the VMs away even when higher ranked jobs wait in the queue.

Which attributes might affect the matchmaking process to behave the way I described?
Do I still misunderstand the way priorities and rank works?
Should I get rid of the computers and become a gardener?

Thanks for any tips, pointers, exotic flower seeds in advance!

Cheers,
Szabolcs