Re: [Condor-users] condor and co-linux

Hi Vladimir,

On Dec 16, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Vladimir Konrad wrote:

With VirtualBox, we're trying to integrate with the Condor virtual
machine universe, which should provide some advantages for controlling
the process of starting and stopping on demand. In practice though,
having VirtualBox running a Linux image all the time hasn't caused
problems, even in very busy student labs.

As I understand it, a job would still get evicted from condor under
virtual-box, when windows started to be used by a user again (so all
of the cpu would be available to user when needed).

How does this work with memory usage? Under virtual-box + linux combination, does it balloon or it is always pre-allocated? (my experience is - pre-allocated,
but it could have changed recently)

It's pre-allocated, but from reading the VirtualBox forums, the plans are to support memory ballooning at some point. Our philosophy has been to let VirtualBox be responsible for "fixing" the memory issue, so we haven't put much effort into working around it. Since VirtualBox is open source, we could contribute an implementation when it becomes a high priority. It just hasn't for us in our environment.

Main reason for all this is, that hopefully some time 1st half of next year,
we will be doing pilot of condor in one of the better labs, and I want
to make it's effect invisible to the students using that lab. Sometimes they have large memory requirements for their research, that is the main reason why I cannot have pre-allocated big chunk of ram to a vm all the time.

That makes a lot of sense. We're not quite ready to implement the on- demand feature, but your input is making the priority go up. :-)

P.S. coLinux should be detecting user presence. We were using this
functionality before switching to VirtualBox (and it is implemented in
our current releases, but is getting increasingly difficult to
implement with each new version of Windows).

Oops, maybe this escaped my attention, I only noticed this when I had
a co-linux console open and using it - so co-linux would detect presence
of host windows user, even if co-linux runs as service (i.e. the user
is using windows, but co-linux "knows")?

Right. The University of Oklahoma and University of Nebraska--Lincoln work to use Condor within coLinux included services that communicated the host (Windows) usage to the coLinux environment. A Hawkeye job was run to monitor the file containing this information and update the idle time of the Windows host. If the Windows host was in use, Condor would evict jobs from the coLinux environment.

We use a similar approach in POVB, since we based our implementation on coLinux. Services monitor Windows activity and write the data into a VirtualBox shared folder. The guest Linux environment picks this up from the shared folder and evicts jobs if there is activity or if the Windows load gets high (usually during Windows updates).

One approach that might not be too difficult to implement in the interim is to have our services launch POVB when the Windows side is idle (since we're monitoring that anyway and we already launch POVB from a service), and to have POVB shut down when someone comes to use the Windows machine. I'll see what we can do.

    Craig

P.S. Let's take this offline for now.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Konrad