[Condor-users] Feature Request: ability to set processor affinity for a slot

Ahh the world of threads -- what a world it is! Full of lot of nastiness
and complicated debugging issues.

Which leads me to my first feature request of this glorious new year:
2009.

I'd like to be able to tell Condor, preferrably on a per-job basis but
even on a per-slot basis this would be great, to spawn the job command
with a processor affinity bit mask so the command and any child threads
from it are locked to a particular processor on a machine (or a
particular set of processors).

Right now I'm handling this by wrapping my *real* command in a higher
level command that Condor calls and the wrapper calls my real command
with a custom executable I've written that sets the processor affinity
bit mask for the real command.

Seems like a not un-natural feature to have the in the startd, nes pas?

The ideal implementation would let me set a different bit mask for each
slot. So slot 1 could lock threads to processor 0, slot 2 to process 1,
etc. I can't think how it could be done on a per-job basis because I'm
going to want to lock a job down based on the slot id.

Happy New Year Condor Team!

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.