Re: [Condor-users] (Ab)using the Condor scheduler to run jobs on particular machines.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As far as I can tell the only mechanism to achieve this is to add a specific
> startd attribute on those machines, and add that to the job requirements:
>
>  /etc/condor/condor_config on legacy.example.com:
>  DedicatedHost = True
>  STARTD_ATTRS = $(STARTD_ATTRS) DedicatedHost
>
>  .../example.sub:
>  Requirements = DedicatedHost and (Machine == "legacy.example.com")
>

> Is there any more intelligent way to do this?  I considered using the rank
> options to simply rank these machines very, very low, but that fails the
> moment our pool gets busy enough to fill all the non-legacy machine slots.

You've covered the case of the job only wanting to run on legacy.example.com.

You also want legacy.example.com to only be willing to run these
specific jobs, correct?

add to the submission file for these specfic jobs:
+RunOnLegacyMachine = TRUE

And on legacy.example.com add to START:

START = $(START) && ( RunOnLegacyMachine =?= TRUE )

And legacy.example.com will not start a job that doesn't have
RunOnLegacyMachine set to TRUE in the job ad.

--
Preston M. Smith
psmith@xxxxxxxxxx