[Condor-users] Intel Core i7 processors?

Hi all.

Sorry if this has been asked before...I just joined the list.

We have an older cluster with our nodes running Condor 6.8.4 under Windows XP Pro x64. Hardware consists of a number of machines with two dual-core AMD Opteron processors and 4GB of RAM. System has worked fine for years.

I tried upgrading one of our node machines with a new motherboard (Asus P7F-X), an Intel Core i7-860 quad-core processor, and 8GB of RAM. Same version of Windows, same version of Condor. New system came online fine, and accepted jobs fine.

The issue is that running benchmarks on the old and new machines, the i7 machine should be more than twice as fast as the old machine. However, Condor jobs only run about 20% faster, and I can't figure out why.

I'm just curious if anybody else is using Core i7 processors, and whether or not they just don't work well in this type of environment.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Freemesser, University of Rochester
Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences /
Center for Visual Science
Meliora Hall, Room 244
E-Mail: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:  (585)275-0786