Re: [Condor-users] Why do kflops and mips vary so much?

> That's a difference of 1% I wouldn't expect better accuracy from a
> benchmark in an uncontrolled environment (i.e. other process could be
> running at the same time on a non realtime OS)
>
> Anything that runs long enough to smooth out effects from things like
> dynamic power levels or turbo boost will end up being subject to the
> vagaries of the OS time slicing, even on a relatively uncontended system.
> If other things are running as well then even more so.

Actually, there have been discussions here about whether it makes sense to
rerun the benchmarks at all.  After all, how often does a CPU get slower or
faster while the system is running?  Yes, I know that CPUs these days *do*
change their clocks, but nonetheless, these benchmarks are indented to capture
the system's capabilities, which should never change.

-Nick

--
           <<< Knock, knock, Neo. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project