Re: [Condor-users] Why do kflops and mips vary so much?

Ian,

> The noise and the inherent difficulties in really measuring the
> "performance" of a machine in an uncontrolled environment are why I'm
> asking: what is it doing to get these numbers? Why is there any noise at
> all?
>
> > Anything that runs long enough to smooth out effects from things like
> > dynamic power levels or turbo boost will end up being subject to the
> > vagaries of the OS time slicing, even on a relatively uncontended system.
> > If other things are running as well then even more so.
>
> Read: the numbers are mostly useless. :)

This feels like a religious debate that I'd rather not get into....

> I'm all for running things once at startup and then never again. Because I
> think the numbers don't mean a whole lot and because I'd rather Condor just
> get out of the way if there's a slot not doing anything, not benchmark my
> machine.

Well, in that case, you should like my proposal...  It'd allow you (as the
administrator) control exactly what to run and when.

-Nick

--
           <<< The Matrix is everywhere. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project